Unité VIII Leçon 1 Resources
- Bain, Bev. Using Whole Language Strategies, Cooperative
Learning, and Flexible
- Groupings to Strengthen Reading and Writing Instruction:
Resource Handbook. Washington State Bureau of Education and Research, 1989.
Order from the bureau, P.O. Box 96068, Bellevue, WA 98009,
- Blake, Clifford. "Cornbread for Your Husband and Biscuits
for Your Man: Mr.
- Clifford Blake, Sr., Calls the Cotton Press." Louisiana
Folklife Recordings, 1980, LP 0001, available from the Louisiana
Folklife Center, NSU Box 3663, Natchitoches, LA 71497,
- Green, Archie. Only a Miner. University of Illinois
Press, 1972. A classic
- occupational folklore text that teachers and older
students would find useful.
- Lawrence, Jacob. The Great Migration: An American Story.
Harper Trophy, 1995.
- Over 60 of Lawrence's paintings illustrate African
Americans' journey from the South to find work in the big cities of the North
beginning in 1916, grades 3-8, $23.50.
- Lester, Julius. John Henry. Dial Books, 1994. Jerry
Pinkney illustrated this
- retelling of the African American folk hero's life for
elementary students, $16.99.
- Levine, Lawrence. Black Culture and Black Consciousness:
- Thought from Slavery to Freedom. Oxford University Press,
1977. A historian employs folklore to analyze African American history and
thought in this vital, highly readable teacher resource, which analyzes many
genres, including work songs.
- Moore, Patricia, "Growing Up Southern: An
Interdisciplinary Project Exploring
- Family Stories Based on Selected Works of Art by Benny
Andrews," Art Education, Vol. 52, no. 1, Jan. 1999, pp. 25-31, available from
National Art Education Association, 703/836-8000, $9. Includes color
reproductions of Andrews' paintings of people at work in the
- Roach, Susan, ed. On My Way: The Arts of Sarah Albritton.
- University, 1998. This book full of color prints features
writing by the artist and scholars and was published in conjunction with a
major exhibit of her work. The artist chronicles each painting in her own
words. Available from University Press of Mississippi, 3825 Ridgewood Rd.,
Jackson, MS 39211, 800/737-7788, $15.
- Terkel, Studs. Hard Times: An Oral History of the Great
- reissue, 1986. Older students may appreciate reading of
joblessness and hard times, $13.
- Terkel, Studs. Working. New Press reissue, 1997. A
classic collection of people's
- conversations about work for older
pour les resources louisianaises, consultez le Louisiana Catalog,
800/375-4100, 1478 Highway 1, Larose, LA 70373, <mailto:email@example.com and
Educational Associates Catalog of Louisiana Multimedia Titles, 123 Polly Lane,
Lafayette, LA 70508, 800/960-222, 337/984-8951.