Unit VIII The Worlds of Work and Play
Lesson 2 Home Work
Look at the skills listed on the
Division of Labor Worksheet, Page 1.
Find out how much these skills are worth by following these steps
(see example below).
1. Ask one or more of the people you interviewed to name a skill or chore and write them in Columns 1 and 2.
2. Ask them to tell how long it takes and write that amount in Column 3. Round the amounts to whole numbers.
3. Ask these people what they think the chore is worth and write that amount in Column 6.
4. Find out what the current minimum wage is and write it in every cell in Column 4.
5. Multiply the Time (Column 3) by the Minimum Wage (Column 4) to see what the work is "worth" in market terms. This product is called the Minimum Wage Value. Write the product in Column 5.
6. Compare the Minimum Wage Value with the value people place on these chores by comparing Columns 5 and 6. In column 7 write "More" or "Less" to show the results of your comparisons.
Comparison: Minimum Wage Value is:
required to complete chore
placed on chore by the worker
Minimum Wage Value is:
Technology Option: Use the calculator on the computer to multiply.
For a PDF of this page click here.