Unit VII Lesson 2
Allamel, Frédéric. Houma Indian Arts,
Exhibit Catalog. n.p., 1999. Includes
- excellent photos, $6 plus $1.50 shipping. Available from Frédéric Allemel,
105 East Drive, Pierre Part, LA 70339.
Arnow, Jan. By Southern Hands: A Celebration
of Craft Traditions in the South.
- Oxmoor, 1987. $34.95. Features Coushatta pinestraw baskets, Houma
palmetto baskets, cornshuck bags, Coushatta and Houma dolls, Houma model
boats, Cajun accordions, wooden boats, Mardi Gras Indian costumes, Cajun Mardi
Gras masks, duck decoys, Acadian textiles, and nets from
Deetz, James. In Small Things Forgotten: The
Archeology of Early American
- Life. Anchor Press, 1977. A good basic teacher resource to material
culture such as house types and gravestones.
Drake, Robert. "Amazing Grace," Stories from
Tennessee, Linda Burton, ed., UT
- Press, 1983, pp. 287-292.
Glassie, Henry. Pattern in the Material Folk
Culture of the Eastern United
- States. University of Pennsylvania Press, 1968. A classic resource on
material culture from housetypes to fences. Useful for teachers and older
International Museum of Folk Art, Recycled,
Reseen: Art from the Global
- Scrapheap, 1997. Based on a major exhibit featuring folk art from
around the world made from found and recycled materials. Kit includes a
64-page guide with lesson plans, cultural context, projects, and
interdisciplinary extensions; video; and 20 color 8" x 11" prints. Available
from Crystal Productions, Box 2159, Glenview, IL 60025-6159, 800/255-8629,
$85. Book by the same title with many color photos, 208 pp., $29.95, and set
of 12" x 16" color prints also $29.95.
Kirschenblatt-Gimblett, Barbara. "An Accessible
Aesthetic: The Role of Folk Arts
- and the Folk Artist in the Curriculum." New York Folklore. Winter
1983, pp. 9-18. An accessible essay on the importance of recognizing learning
in everyday life within classrooms.
Matthews-DeNatale, Gail, et al. "Infusing
Indigenous Knowledge into Classroom
- Curriculum Through Collaborative Fieldwork." 1996 Proceedings of the
National Association for Multicultural Education, pp. 181-198. Caddo Gap
Press, 1996, $25.
Moonsammy, Rita. Passing It On, NJ State Council on
the Arts, 1992. Excellent
- teacher resource for folk artist residencies and studying how people make
things, $10.See online excerpt.
Vlach, John Michael. By the Work of Their
Hands: Studies in Afro-American
- Folklife. University of Virginia Press, 1991. Good teacher resource on
the retention of African aesthetics and traditions and Afro-American material
Walker, Alice. "Everyday Use," In Love and
Trouble: Stories of Black
- Women. Harcourt Brace reissue, 1985.